Exempt: No (Hourly)
Department: 911 Dispatch
Reports To 911 Director
Location: Justice Complex, 411 W Monroe, Jonesboro, AR 72401
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This safety sensitive (SS) position is responsible for receiving emergency and administrative calls from the
public and dispatching the appropriate emergency personnel.
- Ability to be ACIC & NCIC certified.
- High school or GED, with in office and shop skills, or others. And, 7-11 months of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
- Ability to read, analyze, and understand general business/company related articles and professional journals.
- Ability to perform mathematical skills using money and other forms of measurement.
- Ability to utilize common sense understanding in order to carry out written, oral or diagrammed instructions.
- Ability to pass a skills assessment test gauging your ability to multi-task while maintaining attention to detail in a stressful situation.
- Successful pre-employment background check and the ability to pass a drug test.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Receives, monitors, and dispatches radio communications traffic for Police, EMS, Sheriff, and Fire, including all 911 calls.
2. Receives and screens incoming telephone calls from the public and other public safety agencies, categorizes and prioritizes calls during emergency.
3. Dispatches the appropriate emergency personnel to incident locations, provides emergency medical instructions to callers prior to the arrival of emergency personnel as appropriate.
4. Maintains a continuous log of incoming telephone and radio calls, logs incoming calls for participating agencies.
5. Monitors and routes incoming messages from national and state computer networks.
6. Checks, confirms, ads, and deletes in-house warrants.
7. Participates in training exercises to include in-house training, GPS tracking, AWIN,
CAD updates, ACIC recertification, etc.
8. Completes work site cleanup.
9. Updates contact list.
10. Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Mental alertness and adaptability to office and field area work routines. Equivalent to four years high school or GED, with particular emphasis during high school in office skills, shop skills, or others, plus 7 to 11 months related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and understand general business/company related articles and professional journals; Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers. Ability to perform these mathematical skills using money and other forms of measurement.
CRITICAL THINKING SKILLS
Ability to utilize common sense understanding in order to carry out written, oral or diagrammed instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving several known variables in situations of a routine nature.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ability to be ACIC & NCIC certified.
PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED
Under immediate supervision, performs general assignments of work, with periodic check of performance by supervisor.
Limited responsibility with regard to specific assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work operations.
Performs work operations which permit infrequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and which would only affect the operating efficiency of the individual involved to a slight degree.
Close mental demand. Operations requiring close and continuous attention for control of operations. Operations requiring intermittent direct thinking to determine or select the most applicable way of handling situations regarding the organization's administration and operations; also to determine or select material and equipment where highly variable sequences are involved.
ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING
Moderately repetitive. Activities with slight variation using a definite set of processes or directions with some degree of supervision. Choice of learned things in situations which conform to clearly established patterns and modes.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR WORK OF OTHERS
Responsibility for work of others: Not indicated.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR FUNDS, PROPERTY and EQUIPMENT
No responsibility for this factor.
Probable errors would not likely be detected until they reached another department, office or patron, and would then require considerable time and effort to correct the situation. Frequently, possibility of error that would affect the organization's prestige and relationship with the public to a limited extent, but where succeeding operations or supervision would normally preclude the possibility of a serious situation arising as a result of the error or decision.
FREEDOM TO ACT
Standardized. Accepted processes covered by well-defined standardized policies and procedures with supervisory review.
ANNUAL MONETARY IMPACT
The amount of annual dollars generated based on the job's essential duties / responsibilities. Examples would include direct dollar generation, departmental budget, proper handling of organization funds, expense control, and savings from new techniques or reduction in manpower.
None. Job does not create any dollar monetary impact for the organization.
IMPACT ON END RESULTS
Modest impact. Job has some impact on the organizations end results, but still from an indirect level. Provides assistance and support services that facilitates decision making by others.
Regular contacts with patrons, either within the office or in the field. May also involve occasional self-initiated contacts to patrons. Lack of tact and judgment may result in a limited type of problem for the organization.
Contacts of considerable importance within the department or office, such as those required in coordination of effort, or frequent contacts with other departments or offices, generally in normal course of performing duties. Requires tact in discussing problems and presenting data and making recommendations, but responsibility for action and decision reverts to others.
USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS
Regular use of complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, road and production machines and equipment, driver's license/cdl, etc.)
Somewhat disagreeable working conditions. Continuously exposed to one or two elements such as noise, intermittent standing, walking; and occasional pushing, carrying, or lifting.
The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations.
Semi-repetitive, low physical. Semi-repetitive type work which requires periods of concentration for varied time cycles as prescribed by the tasks.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision; and color vision.